Architecture is an umbrella term to describe the design, art, and engineering processes and principles that can shape the physical world. The study of architecture traces itself back to the ancient world. Since then, it’s developed from Gothic to modern architecture aesthetics. Architectural principles can be applied to other areas as well – including business and information technology. It’s a competitive field that is rewarding for those brave enough to pursue the field.
If you’re an aspiring architect, it’s essential to know which university is the best for this program. Finding the ideal university for you is a critical step in reaching your dreams, as studies are important before you can take the boards.
For those who are hunting for an architecture university this upcoming school year, we have curated this list for you.
Top Architecture Universities in the Philippines
The Board Exam for Architecture held earlier this year brought a new batch of architects to the scene. We have compiled a list of the top universities that showed outstanding performance during the board exams last June 2022.
The schools included in this list are based on the June 2022 Architecture Board Exams released by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC). Note that this list follows the performance of the universities that topped based on the released results.
University of the Philippines Diliman
- Ranked first in the 2022 ALE with a passing percentage of 97.01%.
The University of the Philippines Diliman was founded in June 1908 through Act No. 1870 of the Philippine Assembly. The university filled the need to meet demands for instruction or learning and to provide studies in the fields of medicine, applied sciences, law, and engineering. It is the flagship campus of the University of the Philippines system that has over 240 academic programs.
It offers courses in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Doctor of Philosophy in the Designed and Built Environment, Master of Architecture, Master of Tropical Landscape Architecture, Master of Arts in Architecture Studies, and Graduate Diploma in Landscape Studies.
University of Santo Tomas
- Ranked second in the 2022 ALE with a passing percentage of 88.24%.
Known as the oldest Catholic university in Asia, the University of Santo Tomas was founded in 1611. It stands as one of the world’s largest Catholic universities. It is also the main campus of the University of Santo Tomas System.
The University of Santo Tomas offers Architecture and MS Architecture with specializations in Physical Planning, Urban Design, and Urban Heritage Preservation.
Mapua University – Manila
- Ranked third in the 2022 ALE with a passing percentage of 85.96%.
Mapua University is best known as one of the country’s premier engineering and technological schools. It has a 4-star rating, recognized by London’s Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) – a university-ranking organization. The university fosters excellence in a variety of fields, including engineering and sciences, architecture and design, and information technology, among others.
Mapua University – Manila offers Architecture and MS Architecture.
Polytechnic University of the Philippines – Main – Sta. Mesa
- Ranked fourth in the 2022 ALE with a passing percentage of 84.85%.
The Polytechnic University of the Philippines was originally founded in 1904 as the Manila Business School. They later promoted the university to a chartered state university in 1978 under the Presidential Decree 1341. Dr. Nemesio Prudente named the PUP Main Campus after Apolinario Mabini in 1988, when he reorganized the university.
Polytechnic University of the Philippines – Sta. Mesa offers courses in Architecture.
Ateneo De Davao University
- Ranked fifth in the 2022 ALE with a passing percentage of 84.21%.
Ateneo de Davao is run by the Philippine Province of the Society of Jesus in Davao City. Established in 1948, it earned the name “Ateneo de Davao” when the Jesuits took control of the school. It is the seventh school in the country to hold the name “Ateneo” by the Jesuits. It has five schools with undergraduate and graduate programs under them. They also run a grade school, high school, junior high, and senior high.
Ateneo de Davao University offers a program in Architecture.
- Admin, P. B. (2022, June 22). PERFORMANCE OF SCHOOLS: June 2022 ALE Results. PRC Board. https://www.prcboard.com/performance-of-schools-june-2022-ale-results/
- Professional Regulation Commission. (n.d.). Prc.gov.ph. https://prc.gov.ph/
- 3 Signs You Should Take an Architecture Degree as Your College Course. (2020, September 30). Enderun Colleges. https://www.enderuncolleges.com/articles/3-signs-you-should-take-an-architecture-degree-as-your-college-course/
- Learn Architecture with Online Courses, Classes, & Lessons. (n.d.). EdX. Retrieved August 21, 2022, from https://www.edx.org/learn/architecture
- What Degree Do You Need To Be An Architect? | NewSchool. (2019, January 15). NewSchool of Architecture & Design. https://newschoolarch.edu/blog/what-degree-do-you-need-to-be-an-architect/
- University of the Philippines Diliman. (2020). Upd.edu.ph. https://upd.edu.ph/
- Then Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, The Catholic University of the Philippines. (n.d.). Www.ust.edu.ph. https://www.ust.edu.ph/
- Mapúa University. (n.d.). Www.mapua.edu.ph. Retrieved August 21, 2022, from https://www.mapua.edu.ph/
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines. (n.d.). Www.pup.edu.ph. https://www.pup.edu.ph/
- Ateneo de Davao University – Davao City – Philippines | Strong in Faith that does Justice. (2022). Addu.edu.ph. https://www.addu.edu.ph/